Frindle by Andrew Clements (150 pages)

Summary 

Nick Allen, a smart and mischievous boy who likes to joke around in school, has his mastermind put to the test in fifth grade. Mrs. Granger, Nick's Language Arts teacher, doesn't fool around and Nick has his work cut out for him to come up with a brilliant idea that won't make him get in trouble with Mrs. Granger. Instead of keeping the word pen, Nick decides to call a pen a frindle. Mrs. Granger is not happy with this as kids start using the word more and more. It's used enough that it's not Nick's word anymore, it belongs to everyone. What will Nick do?

Opinion 

Sometimes I liked this book, other times not so much. The only reason I enjoyed it is because Nick reminds me of my mischievous brother. One reason I didn't like this book was it was very slow and lacking adventure. In addition, I felt that making up a new word was silly. What's wrong with the words that are in the dictionary already? If you decide to read this story, please comment and let me know what you think. 


Rating

***(3 stars)


At this time, Blogger.com does not have a subscribe button available. Feel free to follow my Blog by using the button on the left side bar or simply check back every Sunday for a new review.




1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm.... I can't imagine creating a new word. The idea behind the book sounds fascinating. It's a bummer that the book wasn't very exciting.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing your thoughts too!